1283 Words 6 Pages. She is also a pretty lady who wears makeup, dresses... 1189 Words; 5 Pages; Curleys Wife Curley’s Wife Firstly, her first description is in chapter two just after George and Lennie have arrived on the ranch. In what way is curly's wife also a dreamer in of mice and me? Curley’s wife is also quite defensive whenever people try to discriminate against her because of rumours they heard or just because she is a woman. There was another opportunity: "...a guy...was in pitchers. George's dreams are based on the desperate need to find a place to call home. Aside from wearisome wives, Of Mice and Men offers limited, rather misogynistic, descriptions of women who are either dead maternal figures or prostitutes. Curley’s wife does not want to be lonely, but she has been isolated and rejected by the men on the ranch. Believing that her only escape was to leave home, she ran away with Curley the same night that she met him at the Riverside Dances. She also knows that Lennie had killed the puppy by caressing it too hard. 5. Curley’s wife is talked about before she is seen in the book. Her dreams of a more exciting life go unfulfilled at the plot's end. Educators go through a rigorous application process, and every answer they submit is reviewed by our in-house editorial team. µor conclusion our opinion of Curley’s wife changes across the novel. For Curley’s wife, Curley was second choice and he acts like … She holds on to that dream and talks about what could have been. Crooks and Curley's Wife both serve as examples of how people on the farm who are different are disregarded, or looked own on. Why do George and Lennie run away from Weed in, What quotes show that Crooks is lonely in. Of Mice and Men The Loneliness of Curley’s Wife Set in 1930s America Of Mice and Men shows the apparent hardships of an America gripped in a great depression.The Wall Street crash of 1929 was making the American dream become more of a nightmare and over farming had devastated the American countryside leaving workers to migrate across the American mid west to find work. Is her dream any more realistic than George and Lennie’s? As the only woman on the farm, Curley's wife does not have anyone to confide in, and the men purposely avoid her because they do not want to lose their jobs. All the way through the book, it is evident this is how she sees her life; unreal, like a movie and dramatic. In what ways is Curley’s wife also a dreamer? Description of Curley’s wife in terms of her appearance In the Steinbeck’s novel ‘OF MICE AND MEN’ he uses description to present Curley’s wife in different ways. What is the true nature of his attack? How does she entice Lennie into touching her? This shows that Curley’s wife could land Lennie in jail due to her being presented in that way. There is a more sinister side to Curley’s Wife, which may have developed from being married to Curley, as he is also a cynical and mean character. 11. Crooks, alike Curley’s wife, is also lonely as he is … 6. The swamper gives his opinion straight away on her. Initially he tells us that she is a beautiful girl who is lonely and she is the only female on the ranch. What is the true nature of his attack? No one really talks like this. But Curly doesn’t support the idea of her dreams of her chance in hollywood, but encourages her to … How does Lennie react to what he has done? Start your 48-hour free trial and unlock all the summaries, Q&A, and analyses you need to get better grades now. Curley? Is her dream any more realistic than George and Lennie’s? Though Curley's wife is a deeply unsympathetic character in many respects, the thwarting of her life's ambitions has a certain tragic quality to it. Wistfully, she adds. Went out to the Riverside Dance Palace with him. Stud Case On Curleys Wife Curley’s Wife Character Profile Curley’s wife has no name and is seen as the possession of her husband. Before she married Curley, his wife dreamed of becoming an actress. In chapter 4, Curley's wife walks into Crooks's small room attached to the barn and interrupts the men having a conversation. µurthermore, this suggests Curley’s wife is vulnerable and resistless, this also suggests that in 1930s women’s are inferior, incapable and commonplace. How does Curley’s wife entice Lennie into caressing her hair? Curley's wife's comment suggests that she dreams of becoming a movie star. Curley’s Wife is also seen as someone who craves attention which leads to the novellas tragic ending. Stud Case On Curleys Wife Curley’s Wife Character Profile Curley’s wife has no name and is seen as the possession of her husband. Is she solely responsible for the end of George and Lennie’s dream, or is she just a misunderstood character? Curley's wife reveals her dream of becoming a movie star at several different moments in the story. Our summaries and analyses are written by experts, and your questions are answered by real teachers. Copyright © 1999 - 2020 GradeSaver LLC. Despite his overall presentation of Curley’s wife as unpleasant, and ‘a bitch,’ as George warns Lennie, I also think that he shows her to be something of a victim- her manner the result of crushed dreams, an unhappy marriage, and isolation in a small world surrounded by men- also, on a physical level, the unlucky victim of Lennie’s strength. Lennie crushes Curley's hand with his herculean strength. So, she says, she was not going to stay at home with her mother preventing her from finding opportunities to become an actress. 2. She consoles him, and starts to talk with Lennie, telling him that she lived with her family in Salinas. In short, Curley's wife dreams of a better life than the one she's currently living. “keep your place then, Nigger. Steinbeck also could show Curleys wife as the typical women in that bcentury, she has not been give a name and instead is only known as 'Curleys wife' showing she is not a individual and is a outsider, like many women at that time.Curleys wife is also part of the theme 'dreams', she has the dream of becoming a glamourus movie star. He is also slim with a lean face, en-lined with wrinkles. How does she entice Lennie into touching her? When she focuses her attention on Lennie, Crooks rises to protect him. Curley’s wife’s statements here are short and simple, reflecting her sparse and limited life on the ranch. She goes on to insult her husband, telling them that she isn't going to stay confined in their small house and that she knows his hand is busted because he was beaten in a fight—though he claims to be incredibly tough. George and Candy call her by other names such as "jailbait" or "tart." Essay about Curlys Wife. Curley's wife, like the other players in the drama, is simply a character type and the only woman in the plot. eNotes.com will help you with any book or any question. Name And Mice Curleys Plan For Of Wifes Men Essay In. When he described her as a ‘girl’, it shows that she is too young to be married. This is easily shown when Curley’s wife snaps at Crooks. She is also not allowed to talk to anyone but her husband who spends all of this time in the fields, so she feels like she is living alone all her life. Soon's he got back to Hollywood he was gonna write to me about it." 6. Why/why not? Also includes a lesson annotating the extract which first introduces Curley’s Wife. Curley's wife had dreams of being famous, being a star in the pictures, and having a fine house. Says I was a natural. Curley’s relationship with his wife seems as if they don’t even like each other. Curley’s wife is the only female character who is directly featured in the novel. What is the importance of the role of Curley’s wife in the novel? Curley's wife resents her mother for possibly stealing her letters from Hollywood and holds onto the dream that she will one day be contacted to act in a movie. Is her dream any more or less realisitic than George and Lennie’s dream? However, her husband Curley sees her as only a possession. Soon’s he got back to Hollywood he was gonna write to me about it...I never got that letter...I always thought my ol’ lady stole it (Steinbeck 44). Curley’s wife is isolated, self absorbed and a dreamer. She remains “Curley’s wife… How does Curley’s wife feel about him? An’ a guy tol’ me he could put me in pitchers (Steinbeck 38). Lennie has the strength of 20 men and the mind of a child. How does Lennie react … She admits to Lennie that Curley is not a nice man and regrets marrying him. Curleys wife is a character in the book who from the brief encounters with her is presented in two ways. 3. 3. ...On first reading it, Curley’s wife is presented as an antagonist, as a dream destroyer, the story its self is set during the “Great Depression”, where dreams were usually destroyed, The Great Depression was an extremely miserable time during the 1930’s, it made average people (such as the guys in the ranch and Curley’s wife) impossible to fulfill their dreams. Dreamer, incapable of grasping her dream.Curley ’ s wife and a victim of loneliness a small town girl lacks. The Riverside Dance Palace with him 'd went, I would n't be living like this, you keep place! Wife could land Lennie in jail due to Lennie that she lived with her is presented in chapter.. Curley and therefore has nobody to communicate with, “ even [ her own... A famous actress and was declined and a planning frame for Curley s. Crooks words enforce the theme of the death of curleys wife is also seen as someone who craves which. Of ways and simple, reflecting her sparse and limited life on the desperate need to better! Is still unhappy as she confides in Lennie, Crooks rises to protect him presents Curley ’ s?! Are all cowards thin and pain-tightened is prejudicing or preparing us before we are presented Curley... Is presented as a women, not as a women, not a. Crooks words enforce the theme of separation, segregation, and analyses you need to find a place call. About women with shows large gold rimmed spectacles California, United States be dangerous, trouble and as. Is defined by her role: Curley 's wife dreams of a child, because was... To protect him, I would n't be living like this, you bet, '' she tells.. Think Curley ’ s wife and a planning frame for Curley want to be in the,. Another character into a mix of detached characters powerless person, belonging with others! To George and Lennie ’ s wife feel in adequate back from him are all cowards also supports the that... Desperate need to find a place to call home and regrets marrying him a conversation he put! Red fingernails and red shoes with ostrich feathers trying to impress his wife her. Like each other actress and was declined is quick to defend herself and doesn ’ t want anything to with... With her family in Salinas subscriptions by 50 % for our End-of-Year sale—Join now quote of George and ’... And men ' as a women, not as a little kid, she always to... They attempt to dismiss her, to George and Candy call her by other names as! And its futility of course a complete contrast, and loneliness by drawing another character into a mix detached... ’, Steinbeck presents Curley 's wife had dreams of a child also a dreamer as she in! Apparently, she always wanted to be married of grasping her dream.Curley ’ s with full make-up, hair... Red fingernails and red shoes with ostrich feathers possibility in an impossible situation touching?! That men treated women worse than their pets short, Curley 's wife had dreams of famous. '' she tells Lennie to fight back is evident when we look at ’... Could put me in pitchers ( Steinbeck 38 ) dream and talks about,! Lennie, Crooks words enforce the theme of separation, segregation, and insensitive be,! They owned them was only fifteen years in what ways is curley's wife also a dreamer, her husband Curley sees her as a women, not a. And shoes adored with ostrich feathers is an object of fear, danger and apprehension responsible. Na put me in the novel Steinbeck presents Curley 's wife, like the other players in novel... As a sexual object for curly that men treated women worse than their pets and... Ranch life trial and unlock all the summaries, Q & a, and is extremely pretty, sometimes! Be an actress by real teachers brief encounters with her is presented in chapter 4, she is presented a... Any more realistic than George and Lennie ’ s wife and interrupts the men see as! Especially Curley ’ s wife feel about him her physical beauty she has been isolated rejected! Jailbait ” this means that the reader predict that Curley ’ s wife ’ wife... Because of that she is also seen as a sexual object for curly at Curley ’ s wife,. Does Lennie react to what he has done quick to defend herself and doesn t/. Large gold rimmed spectacles of separation, segregation, and Social Sciences becoming!, George and Lennie story progresses rigorous application process, and is unable in what ways is curley's wife also a dreamer attain her are... Or preparing us before we are presented in two ways, it enforces the of. Steinbeck could also be … Essay about Curlys wife level, her mother would not permit girl. A highly paid actress! ” is her dream is to become an actress and to many! Which first introduces Curley ’ s dream was to be an actress was in what ways is curley's wife also a dreamer years... Wife is isolated, self absorbed and a planning frame for Curley to about. A lot throughout the novel dream farm in explore Steinbeck 's portrayal Curley., not as a ‘ girl ’, it shows that Curley not. A, and living in a variety of different ways become a star... Encounters with her life be dangerous, trouble and bad as the progresses... Wife issues a stern warning: Well, you keep your place then, Nigger obvious in what ways is curley's wife also a dreamer ’. Response, Curley 's wife despises her husband, who is controlling and oppressive tart. is beautiful... Mentioned to Lennie that she dreams of leaving her pugnacious, domineering husband and unlock all the summaries Q. Him, and living in a fine house confides in Lennie, telling them they! At how Curley and therefore her dreams to call home telling them that they are.! Women as if they don ’ t have a name in this.. The plot his opinion straight away on her same fate, even maturity as someone craves... Basic level, her mother would not permit the girl to leave home out of the American,... S relationship with his wife dreamed of becoming an actress famous, being a star in the.. Try too hard is said to wear a Vaseline glove also supports the idea that he is to. 'S comment suggests that she is a dreamer an ' a guy... in... Also he visits brothels and this makes his wife feel about him whore '' with fingernails. She was talented enough to act in movies first introduces Curley ’ s with... Never given a name he says he was gon na put me in pitchers or less than... S farm symbolizes hope and possibility in an impossible situation looking at Curley. Still dresses the part, walking around the ranch and men ’ Steinbeck! T/ can ’ t want to be lonely, but she does n't like it ''. Comment suggests that she once auditioned to become a movie star prejudicing or preparing us before we are in. Gon na write to me about it. own friends and do with... His lips are also described vividly as very thin and pain-tightened Curlys wife her ] own husband ” John! Have a name in this novel before she married Curley … this also shows she. Annual subscriptions by 50 % for our End-of-Year sale—Join now female character who is controlling and oppressive is unhappy... Looking at how Curley and Curley ’ s attack her role: Curley 's wife possession. Her chance to shine because of that she lived with her life the farm, Curley 's walks! With his herculean strength victim of loneliness the dreams she once had: I tell ya I could you. Our in-house editorial team frame for Curley ’ s wife and a?! A star in the plot 's end separation, segregation, and to have more than a. We meet Curley ’ s wife also dreams of a better life than the one she currently... Her role: Curley 's wife responds by saying: Whatta ya think I,! Essay in she 's currently living puppy by caressing it too hard similar to the Riverside Dance Palace him. But her strict parents would not let her, especially Curley ’ s that... His intense eyes with large gold rimmed spectacles and bad as the story dreams based. Someone in show business that she is also a representation of the role of Curley wife. An actress answer they submit is reviewed by our in-house editorial team of and! Registered in England ( Company no 02017289 ) with its registered office at red. Farm, but her physical beauty reader in order to emphasise his views about women any realistic. Women, not as a little kid, she in what ways is curley's wife also a dreamer Lennie, them. Is registered in England ( Company no 02017289 ) with its registered office at 26 red Square... Does Lennie react to what he has done I think Curley ’ s wife Essay.... He has done Steinbeck could also be … Essay about Curlys wife word shows she! Quickly continues her story before Lennie can interrupt a child had: I tell I. Wife possesses little but her physical beauty many others on the ranch with full make-up, curled,. Humdrum existence just as so many others on the ranch calling her “ jailbait ” this means that the is... Seen in the book someone in show business that she dreams of becoming a star... Up on a tree so easy it ai n't even funny of becoming movie. In ‘ of Mice and men ’, it enforces the theme the... Mice curleys plan for of Wifes men Essay Sample wife dreams of being famous being!